Diving Deeper: exploring ornamentation & variations - for all instruments
Learn how to make tunes more interesting for yourself - and for listeners.
Obviously this requires freeing yourself from the habit of learning tunes only from sheet music, or regarding a particular version or transcription of a tune as something fixed.
This objective of the class is to help students understand how traditional players approach a tune. What ornaments to play, and when? In what context? How to introduce variations into a tune? There are very diﬀerent and equally valid approaches to explore.
Steve, along with special guest musicians, will talk about varied topics, such as:
- Technique: ornamentation / decoration / articulation
- An overview of how players of diﬀerent instruments make use of various techniques.
- Tricks to master (e.g. rolls) on fiddle, flute, accordion, etc.
- What can be gained from listening to performances of a tune by diﬀerent players, on diﬀerent instruments.
- Finding personal takes on a tune.
- Being aware of the basic scale or mode of a tune - choosing whether or not to introduce variations that “fill in the gaps”.
- And more!